Sunday 4 February 2018

Lessons in the Colour Transparent 2


She walks into the bar, eyes bright and full of purpose. She’s wearing her best smile and the outfit she bought last week. She sits daintily on a bar stool and signals the bartender:
“Can I get a martini honey? And don’t be shy with the Gin,” she says with a light laugh and wink. The bartender mixes her drink and places it in front of her. She immediately fishes out the olive with her tongue and chews it slowly, savouring the taste.
“Mmm is it even a Martini if there isn’t an olive?” The bartender chuckles and places another in her cocktail. She smiles at him and casually swings the bar stool as her eyes scan the room. She never knows what she’s looking for but she always knows when she finds it. And tonight she finds it. She smiles slowly and turns around to face the bar again. She feels his energy as he approaches her and she knows the very moment he is standing behind. He signals the bartender:
“Can I get another Martini for the lady?”
“Who says I’m a lady?”
“Actually that’s the name of the cocktail.” He turns to her and smiles.
“That’s cute but I come here all the time and I’ve never heard of that particular mix.”
Just as she finishes speaking the bartender brings over a cocktail and places it in front of the man:
“One Martini for the Lady. Will that be all sir?”
She rolls her eyes and he gives a little chuckle.
“Of course” she says, voice dripping with sarcasm.
“I hate to say I told you so but…” he shrugs his shoulders and smiles at her. She rolls her eyes again but she’s smiling.
“I bet you’re just the type to love saying I told you so.”
“You’re right about that.”
He half sits on the bar stool next to hers and leans into her.
“So here’s the thing. I think you’re extremely attractive, and I find you intriguing. I’d like to get you tipsy enough to make some bad decisions but not so tipsy you regret them in the morning. Then I’d like to take you home with me but I’m a reasonable guy. I’m always open to other suggestions.”
He grins at her and it’s all teeth.
“Well aren’t you bold. I’m not sure if you’re rude or just really, really stupid.”
“I’m neither.”
“Really now? So what would you call it?”
“Transparency?”
She raises her eyebrow at him and tilts her head slightly,
“You’re an interesting one aren’t you?”
“So we agree then.”
She smiles and shakes her head,
“I bet your girlfriend thinks you’re hilarious.”
“She really does.”
“Ahh so you do have a girl.”
“I do. A lovely girl but not nearly as interesting as you probably are.”
“Just like a man, always out to find the next best thing huh.”
“Hey, at least I’m straight up. Isn’t that what you women want? Honesty?”
He takes his glass and raises it to his lips. He downs the contents in one gulp and places the glass back down on the counter.
“You’re right. We do want honesty…but we also want respect. You go find that lovely girlfriend of yours and be a better boyfriend.”
She raises her empty glass in a salute to the bartender then turns and smiles at her companion before patting his cheek. She slides off the bar stool, adjusts her skirt and turns to leave. He watches her, shakes his head and lets out a sound in appreciation of her silhouette.  He turns to the bartender and orders another drink. He gives him a thankful nod and casually swings the bar stool as he eyes scan the room. He never knows what he’s looking for but he always knows when he finds it. And tonight he finds it. He smiles slowly and turns around to face the bar again. He feels her energy as she approaches him and he knows the very moment she is standing behind.
“Looks like you struck out just now.”
“Maybe she struck out.”
“A gorgeous girl like that? I doubt it.”
She leans on the bar and positions herself so she’s facing him.
“Well, let’s say you’re right and I did strike out. That means something is probably wrong with my game. So the question is…why are you over here?”
“Maybe I’m a little curious as to why you struck out?”
“Well that’s easy. Transparency.”

No comments:

Post a Comment