Saturday 15 March 2014

The Grotto

"Run away, Runaway."

Shipwrecked on this island I encountered a pirate whose ways were as crooked as his smile.
Beware beware screamed the voices in my head, but he got to me first.

I spent my days exploring the island with him; seeing caves and exotic creatures; trees so tall my neck strained to encompass them all; rivers that flowed to eternity. We drank from the Spring of Desire and ate fruit from the Garden of Sin. And at night, he kissed me where no other man had ever been so I returned his affections with everything I possessed.
Beware Beware screamed the voices in my head, but he got to me first.

One day we found an underground grotto. It spanned the length of the entire island. He held out his hand to help me down. The voices in my head grew quiet. It was dark and eerie underneath the earth but the pirate was right by my side. My hands ran over the walls which felt like rough tongues and smelled like cotton candy. I looked up at his face and saw the darkness that wasn't the grotto. For the very first time in my life I was afraid. A feeling that took a hold of me and rendered me thoughtless unable to see or hear the life around me. I was afraid; but he held my hand. Beware Beware screamed the voices in my head but he got to me first.


We continued our way further until suddenly everything was illuminated and I was momentarily blinded. I felt like  I was falling when in reality both my feet were planted solidly on the ground. And then he appeared. The Earth Demon was never seen but always heard. Ruler of everything on the island; the Supreme Cosmic Power. He greeted my pirate as if they were old friends. They joked and laughed in a language I couldn't quite understand. I was invisible. Beware Beware screamed the voices in my head, but he got to me first.

Eventually they took notice and I was introduced. The Earth Demon studied me; eyes penetrating to my core and burning me from the inside out. I could feel the power he possessed and I was afraid. He circled me like an animal cornering his prey. I kept my eyes trained on the pirate. My personal solace. Suddenly he stopped and nodded. The pirate gave me a look so sincere,so happy that I couldn't help but smile in return. I made to step forward just so he could hold me in his arms like before but realized I couldn't move. I looked around in confusion and tried again to no avail. He tilted his head at me and waved just as something grabbed my leg. I screamed as the ground below us opened up and I felt myself being pulled beneath the earth. The voices in my head no longer screamed beware; they too were afraid. The wind whistled in my ears and my stomach hit the bottom way before I did. I could see him growing smaller and smaller as I fell and yet I strained my eyes trying to see him. My paradise. Suddenly I was upright and on my feet as strong arms lifted me and set me right,dusting off my clothes. 
"Right. Here we are. Take a look around. You're going to be here for a very...long time."


**Since I get so much request for my one shots to be continued I decided to do this little story. I'm not going to call it a short story because I'm not sure how far it will go on. I'll be updating it every week with a new episode of sorts. I'm open to suggestions of what you guys want to read here on my blog so don't be shy in hitting me up. The links are down below if you'll take my suggestion. Hope you enjoy it!**

http://twitter.com/LuckyNumberAlex
http://chasingallex.tumblr.com






2 comments: