Friday 29 November 2013

Call Me Reliabe

You live for your friends. You're the one everyone comes to for advice. The stable one. The designated driver, the shoulder to lean on, the first one to notice when something is up. But...it feels like whenever you need someone everyone is just conveniently preoccupied. I get you. It's hard being willing to give your all for and to people when it feels like you're third wheeling in most of your friendships and it's totally natural to feel like this. I know so many people who find themselves in this position a lot and find it difficult to just come out right and say hey.."my feelings are important too. I should have someone when I need them. "

In a way I'm that friend. Not really because my friends ignore me but just because I'm a private person and I tend to handle my own problems myself or just talk to my family since we're so close. Maybe it's the same way for you in which case you don't really have a problem. But you could just have self-centered friends who take you for granted and that's a big no-no. So here's a little something to help you deal with that:

1. Talk to your friends 
     Especially if you're a teenager, life is moving pretty fast. School,family,relationships. Sometimes you lose sight of some of the important stuff. Your friends might not even realise that they don't give you as much of their attention as they should and this can all be fixed simply by sitting them down and letting them know how you feel. And don't go all Degrassi on them and try to pin all the blame on them and start drama even if you feel that way. Try something like this, "Hey I know you've been busy a lot but lately I feel like we don't talk anymore. Let's hang out more." Invite them out or over for a sleepover. Easy and avoids hurting anyone's feelings.

2. Find new friends
     This doesn't mean dump your old friends either. It just means that maybe you've reached the point in your friendship where your ideals and priorities just aren't the same anymore and you need like minded people around. It doesn't mean that you guys will stop hanging out and having fun together; it just means that you'll find someone else who you can talk to and who will be able to give you some much needed advice when you require it.

And there you have it. It really is that simple when it comes to dealing with this situation. I think what we forget a lot is that not everyone is going to be in your life forever. Some people are placed just to get you through a rough time. Some are going to be there forever and you'll grow old as friends. Some people are party friends and you can go to parties and limes and have a blast but you can't have serious conversations with. Then some people you can have infinite talks about the world and humanity but you'd rather just not go out with them. That's the nature of relationships and friendships and once you understand that life is going to go a whole lot easier for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment