Friday 22 November 2013

Look Out for Arrows

You know that post I made about being okay with not knowing what you want to do with your life? Think of this as part two. I believe that everyone has something they're good at and if that fails, everyone has something that they love to do more than anything else in the world.

Part of the reason why I never realized what I wanted to do was because I was too caught up in worrying about what my parents wanted me to do and what others were doing. Every parent wants their kid to be a lawyer or doctor; something that makes money and will ensure the child's future but what they don't realize is that not everyone can have these jobs. I spent a lot of my time at secondary school struggling with subjects I just couldn't grasp and trying to come up with excuses to my parents why I wasn't getting the 90s that I was accustomed to in Primary school.
"Everyone in the class did bad." "That teacher just doesn't like me." "I didn't know there was a test."
Sounds familiar? Every excuse in the book ever created I'm pretty sure I used on my parents already. The fact of the matter was and still is I'm just not good at sciences and maths related subjects. I never could understand the logic behind numbers and I confess today I still think algebra is stupid. words meant something to me. I could manipulate them, bend them and I still wouldn't be wrong. I'd just be creative. That's what I was attracted to. The idea of controlling things and creating something I deemed worthy was always appealing to me and I ignored that gut feeling (nah not my baby hoho). That was my arrow pointing to the direction where I should take my life and I just completely missed it.

Arrows are basically all those little things that are pointing you in the direction you were called to go in. Keep failing English but get fantastic grades in Art? There's your arrow. You can't throw a ball straight to save your life but can memorize a choreography in little more than an hour? There's your arrow. People miss their arrows especially when they're in a creative field such as art, music or even literature because everyone tells you they're just "hobbies" and not careers but keep an eye out. Be always on the alert because you just might miss your calling and believe me. You don't want to spend your whole school life going in the wrong direction only to realize at 30 that you've made a huge mistake. The Arts are just as important as the sciences are any other discipline so if you have the talent utilize it.

And I know I know. I know you're going to say, "But my parents aren't going to pay for me to theater arts". Well it's up to you to convince them. Work as hard as you can. Join that dance troupe, sign up for that sports team ;work your ass off. I can almost guarantee you that when your parents see you working so hard they'll have to take notice and consider your way. What's your other choice? Ending up in a dead end job and unhappy? Sounds like fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment