Sunday 17 November 2013

The Real You

Looking around at school I see a lot of familiar faces of people who either went to Primary or Secondary school with me or grew up with me in my neighborhood or even went to Sunday school with me. It's strange cause I can't identify the person I'm looking at sometimes. It feels like mine is a generation hell bent on being anything else but themselves. All I see are carbon copies of the same mold and it's a bit daunting thinking about it. When did being yourself suddenly stop being enough? I know I'm preaching a sermon that you guys have probably heard a thousand times before but there's a damn good reason for that.

And believe me. I know a lot about wanting to fit in and being like everyone else. It's a method of survival that's been around for centuries now and it's a very effective one. Sometimes people become who they aren't just to feel a sense of belonging. But you know what? It's a trick because that feeling is fleeting. Sure you'll be happy to a certain extent because in a way you'll be accepted but you'll also be restricted. Is that worth it? Wouldn't it be better to be able to do whatever you want and say whatever you want without wondering whether or not your friends are going to drop you and move on to someone else or that your boyfriend/girlfriend will dump you for someone else? I'm sure it would. So why is everyone insisting on staying in friendships and relationships that are based on the lie of them acting like someone they're not?

I learned the lesson early that being someone that you're not isn't beneficial. It's better to be your real self and let others use that to decide whether or not they like you. In the past few years I've discovered a group of people that I love infinitely. I've shown them pretty much every side to me..the good the bad the ugly..and you know what? They're still here. And I'm not saying that we'll be friends forever because who knows what the future holds but it's a pretty great sign that even after all the bullshit we went through they're still here. I think that's the greatest test of friendships and relationships. When you can be 100% you and the person still sticks around to be there.

And I get it. We're young. So sometimes you don't even know who "you" is. I don't have all the answers and everyday I'm finding out new things about myself; what I can do, what I won't stand, what I'm capable of. That's all a part of growing up. You've got to learn who YOU are along the way. That being said, there are somethings that you've known about yourself all alone and it's those things that make up the core of you. Don;t change them. That's what makes you special;makes you the person who you are. Just be yourself. It's so worth it in the end it's almost crazy. That boy you dream of is gonna show up, that girl you want will be yours, that person you want to be friends with will notice you and when that happens, you can guarantee they'll like you for you. Now isn't that a better alternative to the dream your living right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment